If you know me, you know I'm ALL about that morning routine!
I have a bangin' morning routine I start looking forward to the night before — and this green smoothie recipe plays a central part.
With this recipe there's TONS of room to experiment — so make it fun! Figuring out what you love is like a little puzzle, so start crackin' the code & start feeling AWESOME.
**I choose all organic ingredients when possible, but real food is better than processed, so whatever works for you right now is great!
- 3 big handfuls of greens (spinach, kale, chard, or a mix of whatever you have. Keep in mind, spinach and chard are the most MILD tasting greens — a good place to start if you're new to the smoothie game!)
- 1/2 to 1 super duper ripe banana, frozen (buy in bulk, wait til they have spots, then peel, break in half and freeze)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup frozen fruit (I love a combo of frozen blueberries and cherries, but anything will work here!)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or water (use a little less if you want a thicker smoothie)
- 1-2 scoops protein powder (I use RAW rice protein, and if I teach in the morning, I do 2 scoops. If I need a snack in the afternoon, I do 1)
- 1 cup of ice
OPTIONAL ADD INS/NOTES:
- Flax seeds (adds a mild nutty flavor. Lots of good things for the bod plus FIBER).
- Chia seeds (they also acts as a thickener. I prefer Chia Seed pudding, personally, but you can experiment!)
- Cacao nibs (energy and antioxidants!)
- 1 date (if you're out of berries and need a sweetener. Alternately, nix the berries, use a frozen banana. SO GOOD!)
- PRO TIP: To fully absorb the nutrients in greens, you need a little fat to go with it. Add 1-2 teaspoons of a nut butter, or have a handful of nuts with it! I always carry nuts with me on hand, but I do like to measure them out b/c it's super easy to mindlessly munch on them and they are a pretty calorically dense food.
Place water, protein powder and greens in a blender. Blend until combined. Add in fruit, add ins, and ice, then blend, baby, blend! Taste and adjust as needed!
If you're in a rush, pour it in a mason jar and hit the road!